Thursday 11 June 2020

3months into lockdown - the *mental* low-down on working from home.


3 months into lockdown and working from home. It’s had its ups and downs, if I’m honest. I’ve worked from home for 7 years but never been consistently “home-bound” for than a few days, really.
It would be easy to structure the post with good bits and bad bits – but the parameters of what is good, bad, indifferent, changes all the time. I should imagine my pros and cons are very much the same as everyone else’s
.
It was a bittersweet that I celebrated my 40th in the week leading up to the company’s home-working instruction. I was in London 4 days out of 5, busy with work, and partying with friends and colleagues in the evenings. I finished the celebrations on the Saturday night in Wagas where my friends and I were all toying with the notion that this “bad dose of flu” might just disrupt our social lives and jaunts for the summer – and wouldn’t that be a right *PITA*!

What we didn’t know was that, 2 weeks later, we would be up to our eyeballs in extension leads, felt tip pens, equal fractions and online grocery shopping. Our backs would ache with our inappropriate desk ergonomics, our WIFI drained with the excessive Roblox streaming and waistbands straining against the freshly-baked bread which we insist on making 3 times a week. We’ve spent all our money online on home-things because we’ve never spent so much time at home. Actually, that’s something that we must rethink when we leave lockdown – in yesteryear we spent *far* too much time, and money, in the pub. 

Socially, my girlfriends’ soiree to Alicante got cancelled, our August camping in France looks to follow suit and all my mates celebrated big birthdays with their infants – can you imagine! We all took advantage of House Party/Zoom, and had a wonderful time on my husband’s birthday where we all got tipsy and chewed the fat (took the mick out of each other) for an hour on a Tuesday night.
The working lockdown has certainly adjusted my expectations. Working from home in the old days meant I was at my desk 2, sometimes 3 days a week. It fitted in around the family, of course, but actually replaced any commuting time to being productive instead. Regular home workers will tell you – working hours are longer but more flexible – and a key measurable being that one can churn out an awful lot of work when there is nothing to distract you or you don’t feel the pull of the canteen or Costa next door. 

Ah. Distraction. Luckily my kids have reached an age where gaming is the most important thing in the world. They could happily play Roblox, Fortnite and YouTube all day long. More than a few times, they have. I don’t tend to tell many people this so please keep it to yourself. In short, they don’t distract me at all – they can help themselves to nutritious, well balanced food stuffs (Corner Yoghurts, Ice Lollies and Babybel) at will, therefore rendering any evening meal I make for them utterly fruitless when they have stuffed their faces all day.  They can fix the WIFI. They can transition from Sky to Prime to Netflix easier than I can. They can buy gaming currency using the Apple ID, *by accident* naturally. They are extremely competent at keeping busy whilst I am banging away at the keyboard and only really seek any interaction from me when fisticuffs go too far and one of them wants to grass up the other one. Regular home workers know – this happens at inopportune times. Also, they know how to unlock the front door and tend to go off every other day in pursuit of the cat – for no reason whatsoever. This can be a little unnerving when you are 10mins into the intro of a conference call and you hear the front door open. It’s very hard, and quite unseemly, to scream at your own children when you have a virtual audience. It’s also hard to venture outside to look for the buggers when your Zoom is reliant on your internal WIFI. 

Conf calls. That’s the worst bit. Even if your connection is solid, the disjointed spell of constant interruptions and forced politeness is truly knackering. You have to stay alert throughout the entire call – even if the area is not particularly pertinent to you. Someone could ask you your POV on their statement, or ask you to capture a note. You need your wits about you. And for goodness sake, never let your guard down when you are screen sharing. Your boss doesn’t want to see your eBay watch list. 

3 months into lockdown and working from home and I hope readers don’t mind if I have a(nother) little whinge. Regular home workers will understand the perils of multi-tasking. It sounds competent and skilled bit it’s actually really stressful. And a bit unnecessary. When all the balls are flying around in the air, some will come crashing down. They haven’t yet, but I’m expecting it. I have to say that the biggest strain is the kid’s education  -the guilt of not doing the school work, the fear of doing it badly or not the way they are used to, the radical goal of getting your child back to school at a higher academic level than they were before (especially if, like me, one of the kids was a bit behind anyway), the hard fact that there is usually only one adult in the house that can, or will, take this on. The constant nagging of Facebook that other people are doing more than you. I’ve really enjoyed sitting with them doing the work – I just cannot fit it in very well. 

Social Media has been interesting – and I’ll admit, LinkedIn has been *exceptionally* brilliant during these last few weeks. The news feed is largely positive and empathetic. Of late, it’s been really honest too; people have shared their professional fears and opened up about uncertainty. We saw this lovely lady who was let go of her high-flying sales job and got shelf stacking work in Morrisons (shout out to Stacy). She posts often about her new pastures – and she is damn funny too. Facebook has been complete crap in this regard – and after you’ve ploughed through the endless streams of self-indulgent memes, disCUSTed friends and U ok hun?– you are faced with a movie of someone knocking the living hell out of someone else. Or a picture of a half-eaten McDonalds. 

Some good bits. I don’t feel like I need to hide my kids (as much). I take conference calls with customers and industry contacts and I can hear *their* kids (and dogs, budgies, home phone) in the background. It makes be feel a little more relaxed; having the sprogs at home is less of a taboo (she has no childcare!) and more of a sign of the times. This is how I’ve been working since 2013 and I feel relieved that others are experiencing this too. 

I work for a cracking company. We are under different sorts of strains now between us – but the team ethic fits and are ploughing through. 

We’ve been lucky with the weather, eh? We have lovely tans between us. Just a shame we can’t fit into our holiday clothes. 

I cannot wait to see my colleagues again. I miss them dreadfully. I miss going into the City. I miss talking to people face to face. 

That’s it for now. I’m going to put the tent up in the garden for no reason whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment